Monday, 9 July 2012


After the lengthy stay in the hospital on Saturday we were back in the hospital bright and early Monday morning for the first available ultrasound.  The ultrasound tech and doctor agreed that it was definitely not a ganglion cyst, but a blood clot as we first feared.  So back up to the ER we went.

Things were much much slower today in the ER.  When we finally saw the doctor (after a three hour wait) and after many interruptions (for trauma cases) the ER doctor informed us that it was a blood clot in a superficial vein.  Apparently the blood clots they are concerned with are those in our deep veins where there are no valves to stop the clot from traveling to the lungs. But with a superficial vein a valve will stop the clot from going anywhere.  It essentially shuts off that vein which will no longer be used.  Therefore a blood clot in a superficial vein is nothing to be worried about.

The suggestion was to use an anti-inflammatory (Advil) and a hot compress until the pain and bulge went away. And that's it. Well at least we are heading home this weekend on the 15th. As far as complications go, this was an incredibly minor one though it did scare the beguses out of us.


  1. Wow, talk about stress! You guys must be so tired of worrying by now. That's good news that Apis is in no danger from this, and that you'll all be able to go home at the end of the week. I'm sure it didn't feel like time was flying, but this part of the journey is close to being over and done with at last. :)

    Still thinking of you guys lots...

  2. I think that would scare the bejezus out of anyone! At least it was something minor, and nothing that required surgery. Still a frightening thing anyway. Lots of love and prayers, and hope for no more complications of any kind. Get lots of rest Apis darling, hopefully you'll start to feel more like yourself soon. *HUGS*

  3. May the force be with you! And I will keep sending all my positive energy your way. Last week I took a hike thru your old “Carolina” neighborhood and all I could think of was

    This used to be my playground (used to be)
    This used to be my childhood dream
    This used to be the place I ran to
    Whenever I was in need
    Of a friend

    Good memories, always good memories … the polo field of the club is now a public park so that made the walk even longer.
    Anyway, keep on healing please.


  4. Wow. You think the doctors could decide on what it was!
    I'm glad it's more of a scare than a concern and hope this pain passes quickly.

  5. Glad you got some answers! You will be home in 5 days!!!!

  6. Laura (brighnasa)12 July 2012 at 03:04

    Argh! How frustrating. I'm glad it wasn't serious, but how awful to have to spend so much time time chasing down a real answer to find what it really was.