Saturday, 2 March 2013

The Month Without Microwave Challenge

Trying New Things

There are many challenges and new adventures we have undertaken of late. After seeing how quickly one's world can change I've made it a point to keep trying new things, learning new things.  This past weekend Aiden, Chris and I made it up to Whistler for me and Aiden to learn to sky under Chris' tutelage... that didn't quite work out thanks to inclement weather and a mistake when getting our skis, but it did put us in the mood to keep trying new things. :)

I have often told Aiden that for me standing still is stagnating; the day that you stop learning something new, trying something new... that day you aren't really living. On the way back from Whistler we stopped at Britannia Mine and had a tour of it as well as of the mill; Aiden was as fascinated as we were, and we got to enjoy the store's selection of rocks and minerals. That resulted in us getting a rock tumbler, so that we can tumble our own rocks and learn more about the process and minerals in general. Sure, its noisy and it will take us the next three weeks, but we are all intrigued.


The Month Without a Microwave!

I have long had a love affair with microwaves. Let's face it, they are handy, handy things. However, one of the things that came out of the long year battling cancer was the need to revamp our eating habits. By and large, we are fairly healthy eaters; when I was pregnant with Aiden I had high blood pressure, so after he was born we tried to cut out salt and incorporated lots of vegetables and fruits. Last year was a challenge because of the state of my digestive system after the MOAS and during chemo; everything we knew pretty much went out the window, so we had to re-learn how to think about nutrition and about food in general.

Something I realized is that life is too short to eat food you don't enjoy. That means that you are never going to get me near a brussel sprout again, but it also means that I am a lot more conscious of what I am putting in my body. Having gotten the Cancer Fighting Cookbook we decided it was  a great chance for all of us to rediscover food and its joys together.

It also meant that I didn't want to go near food that I don't trust for some reason.

I have a couple of friends that have gotten rid of their microwaves. When I first heard about it I thought it sounded impossible. How do you make a quick meal? How would you reheat leftovers?

But that's the point, isn't it? No microwave burritos or pizza, and as for left overs... well, you simply have to make smaller portions and eat each meal fresh. Theoretically less food would be wasted that way too, since we found that we would get bored eating the same thing over several meals.

So, starting now, this is our challenge -- we took our microwave out of the kitchen and have put it away for the month of March. If we can make it a month without needing it we will break our microwave habit, and can get rid of it for good. This is the first step in what I feel will be a healthy me, and I am excited that Chris and Aiden are on board with the challenge too. :)

So here's to the upcoming month... we'll see how we fare!

No comments:

Post a Comment