Thursday, 19 February 2015

New Year's Pneumonia, but much better Chinese New Year!

Gong Hey Fat Choi! May this year be healthy, happy and adventure-filled!

2015 started with a whimper, as a couple of illnesses floating around the holidays developed into an infection and pneumonia by New Years Eve.

That was followed by 2-3 weeks of doctor visits, labwork every few days ( which white blood cells and platelets out of whack) and one fun ER trip when I passes out while having my blood drawn.

In the end, I had to rest, take liquids ( and lots of nutritional supplements), antibiotics... and rest some more. Its hard to admit how quickly one's body can go downhill when under attack, and it was a good reminded for my loved ones ( and me) about exactly what a suppressed immune system entails.

I am now pretty much back to my usual, thanks to taking it easy and B12 daily. I am also staying away from pretty much anyone that has so much as a sniffle.  I think that sometimes its hard for people to understand how serious it can be, and how quickly infection can take over.

February was by far more positive - having slowly gotten over that plague life started settling into routines. This month our lives weren't about cancer anymore. We focused on other projects ( personal and professional) and definitely turned our attention and energy to my son's well being and happiness.  He was only 7 when I was diagnosed, and a lot of things had been put on hold while we battled the PMP monster. This past Fall we all finally got to a place where we are ready to face forward and take leaps of faith in pursuing all our dreams, taking on different adventures.

My little man has grown up a lot these past three years. When I remember him that Valentine's day, heartbroken and uncertain about what the future held I can't help but say thanks to G-d, to our friends, to science and all the amazing doctors and people in our lives. They helped us get to this point.

My next MRI is Monday, and as usual I am anxious and stressed. I've come to the conclusion that I will always be! But that's okay. There are other things in the horizon now that we will all hold onto. :)

5 comments:

  1. Apis, you are amazing in so many ways. I'm glad our paths have crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your life takes you to all corners of the earth and yet you know how to keep the center core of your family the main focus and always balanced. You work tirelessly! I love your soul, Apis! Every good thought and prayer for a clean MRI!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an extraordinary woman, Apis. Keeping my fingers crossed for you..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful....DX Mucinous Adenocarcinoma Appendix....11/6/15 Appendix removed 11/2/15. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful....DX Mucinous Adenocarcinoma Appendix....11/6/15 Appendix removed 11/2/15. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete